Back to School Fitness
School is no longer out for summer. The kids have gathered their book bags, jumped on the bus, and went on their way to a place of learning. Suddenly, you have time to yourself. You can watch those movies you’ve missed, and do things for yourself that have been pushed down your to-do list because kids always seem to come first.
Well, now you can focus in on your fitness routine and make your body stronger, leaner, and more functional than it has ever been. Of course, if you are a member of a health club, or local gym, you can go for that perfect attendance award. You can lift weights, take those high intensity classes, and even work with a trainer to discover new levels of fitness.
If you’re at home and not intending on joining a health club, then have no worries; there is still plenty you can do. There are some beneficial and sustainable things you can do every day that will help you change your body and feel amazing. Utilizing the home and the local world around you can help you burn body fat and tone your muscles.
Firstly, let’s establish that doing something is always better than doing nothing. If you only have twenty minutes to spare, then use it to better yourself. Moving your body and pushing yourself to new levels is always more beneficial than sitting on your couch and contemplating your workout.
Now, for some things you can do in your home –
- Train your Body with your body
- Putting together a circuit of bodyweight movements such as: planks, push-ups, squats, lunges, abdominal crunches, jumping jacks, and standing in place sprints will drive up your heart rate, burn those calories, and help shape your body for the better.
- Set a total time that you plan on working and how repetitions of each movement you’ll do. Then, just do your best to stay active for as long of the period as you can. Setting a goal of 10 minutes with 20 repetitions per set? Then, do your best to stay active for 7-8 minutes total.
- Run, Jog, Bike, or Swim
- Depending on the amenities of your home and neighborhood – one of these options will be an amazing way to work on your cardiovascular system and burn calories.
- Taking a jog or riding a bike around your neighborhood for an hour can provide an amazing chance to exercise, catch up on a podcast, or just rock out to your favorite tunes without interruption.
- Swimming can be a low-impact way of achieving similar results, while running at a track can be an amazing way to add sprints, and all of the fat-burning benefits, into your life.
No matter what you do it is important for you to embrace that you come first now. Your health and wellness allows you to live longer and take better care of the very kids that have kept you from your workouts.
For the Kids
An article for back-to-school wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t take a second and think of your kids. With technology everywhere, video games, and less interest in team sports – it can be very easy for your kids to come home and become inactive.
Simply put, make it fun for them to move by involving their friends, or by making a play into something that they really enjoy (movies, game characters).
For those who still don’t want to get outside and get a little sweaty – don’t be afraid to keep them from their TVs until they have given you 30 minutes of play/sport/exercise. Sure, they might throw a fit, but your job is to keep them well and healthy above all else.