Everyone needs a little inspiration now and again, so here are 10 tips that apply to all ranges of your health and wellness. You can read this as one solid piece and aim to apply as many of them as you possibly can to your life, or you can simply treat these as daily tips to be revealed with each passing day.
1. You don’t have to step foot in a gym in order for an activity to count as exercise. Go outside and take a walk, a hike, or just play a fun sport. Everything counts!
2. Move in all directions whenever possible. Exercise, like dancing, takes place in all directions and is best enjoyed when all are fully realized. Move often and move well.
3. Eating protein is critical for the support of the body; most specifically, the muscles that drive your exercise. All protein sources are not created equal, however, and so it is imperative that you look to obtain your protein from foods that are good for you in other ways as well. A fast food cheeseburger can have as much as fifty-grams of protein in it, but who actually knows what else is in there!
4. Eat when you are in need of food and not because you are bored or preoccupied. Turn off the TV when you are having dinner and focus on the tastes of your food and the company you keep.
5. Going for high intensity can be a rewarding challenge, but that doesn’t mean it is the only way you can train your body. Sometimes it is better to slow down, work with deliberation, and enjoy your exercise.
6. Drink half of your bodyweight in ounces of water (I.e. if you weigh 150 pounds, then you should have about 75 ounces of water per day). Proper hydration levels boost the metabolism, fuel exercise and cognition, and keeps the body functioning optimally.
7. Soreness and dysfunction are not badges of pride. Put an emphasis on mobilizing the joints of your body and restoring function to the tissues, your muscles and fascia, that keep you in motion. Utilize foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and mobility exercises to realize your full movement capability – you might be surprised just how much stronger you become.
8. No matter how passionate you are about your fitness goals and your training schedule be sure to program time to enjoy activities and people who are not related directly to these things. Life is better when you do not live in isolation. Enjoy game nights, the occasional cold beverage, and laughter with those you love.
9. Don’t use the word “diet” when talking about your eating habits. No food is inherently good or bad. Rather, all food is fuel in moderation. Don’t go on diets, don’t eliminate food groups, and don’t resort to extreme measures to lose weight. Focus on eating a little better every day until your new habits produce results.
10. Sleep 7 to 9 hours most nights. Studies have shown that proper amounts of sleep boost productivity, willpower, and lead to better results in fitness aspirations such as fat loss or muscle gain.